Here are five things you need to know before taking the leap.
1. Prices are at all-time lows
In many second-home hot spots, prices are still close to their five-year lows. When the real-estate bubble burst, some of the hardest-hit markets were vacation destinations. Many vacation home areas experienced overgrowth and may now be suffering from foreclosures.
2. Think ROI
Consider the possible return on your investment. Whether or not you decide to rent the home out, you will want to consider buying a place that has good rent potential. That’s because a home’s rent ability can affect its resale value. Before you bid on a house, make sure the homeowners association or township allows short-term rentals.
3. Don’t count on rental income
If you are planning on counting on rental income to cover the costs beware. According to HomeAway.com, a typical second home property rents out just 17 weeks a year. Make sure to account for the weeks the home won’t rent. Plus, you’ll need to pay for cleaning, maintenance, insurance, and maybe management fees. Make sure to plan on the maintenance costs of the property being at least 15% of the income.
4. Your mortgage rate depends on how you use the home
How you use the home depends on the mortgage rate you will receive. If you plan to use the property primarily as a second home and you’ll pay about the same mortgage rate as you would on a primary residence. If your plans are to use the home for rental income and need that income to qualify for the loan, you’ll need to have as much as 25% for the down payment and pay up to one percentage point more in interest.
5. Take advantage of tax benefits
Talk to your tax guy before you buy. If you rent the home out for two weeks or less you won’t have to report a cent of income to the IRS. The good news here, you can still deduct property taxes and mortgage interest. On the flipside, if you stay there for less than two weeks or 10% of rental days, you can deduct operating costs in addition to interest and property tax.
But where should you buy? According to CNBC here are the top places to buy a second home. If you are thinking about buying a second home I can help you find a professional agent in that area.
Comments are closed.
Needham MA Real EstateNeedham, MA - $910,000
54 Coolidge Ave - Single-Family - Colonial - Rooms:9 - Beds:4 - Baths:2/12 hours agoNeedham, MA - $3,750
54 Coolidge Ave - Rentals - - Rooms:9 - Beds:4 - Baths:2/12 hours agoNeedham, MA - $519,000
30 Denmark Lane - Condo - Townhouse - Rooms:5 - Beds:2 - Baths:2/14 hours agoNeedham, MA - $1,499,000
55 Rybury Hillway - Single-Family - Colonial - Rooms:12 - Beds:5 - Baths:66 hours agoNeedham, MA - $2,400
99 Wellesley Avenue - Rentals - - Rooms:7 - Beds:4 - Baths:2
Wellesley MA Real EstateWellesley, MA - $2,850,000
158 Lowell Road - Single-Family - Colonial - Rooms:13 - Beds:6 - Baths:6/22 hours agoWellesley, MA - $850
447 Worcester St - Commercial - Year Built:0 - Acres:0.0817 hours agoWellesley, MA - $1,795,000
84 Hopkinson - Single-Family - Colonial, Other - Rooms:11 - Beds:5 - Baths:4/1Wellesley, MA - $2,000
5 Abbott Street - Rentals - - Rooms:4 - Beds:1 - Baths:1Wellesley, MA - $674,900
16 College Road - Single-Family - Colonial - Rooms:7 - Beds:3 - Baths:1/1
Dedham MA Real EstateDedham, MA - $379,000
9 Barrows St - Single-Family - Colonial - Rooms:7 - Beds:3 - Baths:1/17 hours agoDedham, MA - $348,999
36 Blueberry Hill - Single-Family - Ranch, Other - Rooms:6 - Beds:3 - Baths:18 hours agoDedham, MA - $999,000
10 Warren Rd - Single-Family - Colonial - Rooms:9 - Beds:4 - Baths:2/1Dedham, MA - $499,900
39 Abbott Rd - Single-Family - Colonial - Rooms:8 - Beds:3 - Baths:1/1Dedham, MA - $419,000
6 Pond Farm Rd. - Single-Family - Ranch - Rooms:7 - Beds:3 - Baths:2
- Head for the Coast at Volante Farms July 25, 2014As part of the Dinner in the Field series, Volante Farms is hosting "Heading for the Coast" on Thursday, July 31, at 6 p.m. They are welcoming back favorite partner Island Creek Oysters and Truro Vineyards. […]
- WashU student charged with DWI, hit-and-run July 25, 2014A 22-year-old student at Washington University in St. Louis has been charged with assault and drunken driving in a hit-and-run that injured two classmates. […]
- Needham Library is 'Off the Shelf' July 24, 2014Did you know that, in addition to the online databases available through the State of Massachusetts and the Minuteman Library Network, the Needham Free Public Library provides Needham residents free home access to several other online databases? Consumer Reports is the most popular database that is used by Needham residents. […]
- Head for the Coast at Volante Farms July 25, 2014
- Wellesley summer makeover July 27, 2014It's good to be in the construction field this summer in Wellesley. The town's makeover includes the new maintenance and other facilities at Wellesley Country Cub, a sports complex rehab at Wellesley College, sprucing up of downtown buildings, church work, Wellesley Middle School fixer-upper, a new dorm at Babson, Hunnewell Elementary School ... (m […]
- Brookline Third 'Snobbiest' Small City in America July 26, 2014If you feel like Wellesley and Newton just aren't snooty enough for you, maybe you should move to Brookline. […]
- Introducing Tracksmith, A New Performance Running Brand Out Of Wellesley July 26, 2014Tracksmith, a New England-based running company, launches today. Tracksmith offers premium performance apparel rooted in New England's running culture and timeless style. […]
- Wellesley summer makeover July 27, 2014
- Rochester Chamber welcomes Papa Ginoa s July 28, 2014Papa Gino's at the Lilac Mall recently had a Chamber ribbon-cutting. In front, from the left, are: Lilac Mall Manager Ellen Paquette, Papa Gino's Manager Jennifer Godsoe, Papa Gino's General Manager Michelle Dow, and Chamber Board members Kristy Methot of Holy Rosary Credit Union, AVP of Bank of NH Leslie Simpson and AVP of Federal Savings Ban […]
- Dedham to Participate in National Night Out 2014 July 25, 2014Dedham police are joining forces with several civic groups in town to support National Night Out next month, according to an announcement by the Dedham Police Department this week. […]
- Have Your Groceries Support Dedham Environmental Department July 23, 2014The Whole Foods store on Legacy Place is donating 5 percent of all purchases made on July 31st to the Town of Dedham Environmental Department's "Dedham Grows" program. […]
- Rochester Chamber welcomes Papa Ginoa s July 28, 2014